It seems to me that people used to blindly follow the Bible and were skeptical of science. Now people blindly follow science and are skeptical of the Bible. Both are wrong.
- We do not “blindly” follow the Bible. We follow the Bible because we follow truth. There is plenty of (and a variety of) evidence to corroborate the Bible. It is not just the “wishful thinking” of a bygone era.
- We are not skeptical of science. Science equally corroborates the claims of the Bible. Science can do nothing other than reveal God.
I would call science the “new religion,” but science is not a worldview or philosophy; it is a study of the natural world through observation and experiment.
- You can’t get morals from it.
- You can’t get how to live from it.
- You can’t get the purpose of all this from it.
Science can tell me how the brain works, but not why. Descartes said “I think therefore I am,” but why do I think in the first place?
This new religion is actually an old one: Naturalism; the worldview according to which everything arises from natural properties and causes, and spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted.
Simply speaking naturalists worship the creation over the Creator. Paul says this brings God’s wrath: “They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served what has been created instead of the Creator.” – Romans 1:25
Think about this practically: you come across an iPhone on the beach and start marveling over it. When I come up and tell you about Steve Jobs, you reject him, and return to marveling over the device.
It is exchanging the truth of God for a lie. Please investigate this for yourself and go where the truth leads you.