People ask me, “Does God still speak?” I ask them:
- Is the Holy Spirit God?
- Does the Holy Spirit speak?
- Does the Holy Spirit come to live inside a born again Christian?
- Did you answer your own question?
#1. Is the Holy Spirit God?
Then Peter said, “Ananias, why have you let Satan fill your heart? You lied to the Holy Spirit… How could you do a thing like this? You weren’t lying to us but to God!” – Acts 5:3-4
Peter used the Holy Spirit and God interchangeably. So, yes: the Holy Spirit is an equal part of the Trinity.
#2. Does the Holy Spirit speak?
13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not SPEAK on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will SPEAK; and He will TELL you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and DECLARE it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and DECLARE it to you. – John 16:5-15 [Emphasis mine.]
That was Jesus there. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Jesus is quite explicit that the Holy Spirit “will speak,” “will tell you things,” and (twice says) “will declare it to you.” Seems definitive to me.
- Also note the personal pronoun, “He.”
- Not an “It” (a force or feeling). “The Holy Spirit is not courage, or energy, or the personification of all good qualities, like Jack Frost is the personification of cold weather.” – Tozer.
- Not “Her” (The Shack got this one heretically shamefully wrong).
- The Holy Spirit is a Person with a mind (Rom. 8:27), a will (1 Cor. 12:11), and a sensitivity (Eph. 4:30, Isa. 63:10).
#3. Does the Holy Spirit come to live inside a born again Christian?
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, WHO IS IN YOU, whom you have received from God? You are not your own – 1 Cor. 6:19 [Emphasis mine.]
11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead DWELLS IN YOU, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who DWELLS IN YOU. – Rom. 8:11 [Emphasis mine.]
The moment we are saved, the Holy Spirit indwells us, seals us (Eph. 1:13), helps us (Rom. 8:26), and empowers us (Acts 1:7-8) [amongst many other things the Holy Spirit does!]
#4. Did you answer your own question?
Yes. You better believe God still speaks!
“God speaks through His Word, through prayer, through our circumstances, and through His Holy Spirit!” – Henry Blackaby, Experiencing God
The real question is: ARE WE LISTENING?
Tozer, A W. Tozer: Mystery of the Holy Spirit (Pure Gold Classic). Alachua, FL: Bridge-Logos Publishers, 2007.